Thursday, June 12, 2008

How to make Strawberry Jam

What you need:
3 Quarts Strawberries
4 Cups Sugar
1 box of Fruit Pectin

Before you begin:
Make sure your jars are clean



Wash the Strawberries

Remove the Hull with Knife or Hull Puller as seen in the pic

Strawberries ready to go........


Crush 1 cup of Strawberries at a time until you have 6 cups of mashed Strawberries


Mix 1/4 cup of Sugar and the box of Fruit Pectin in a small bowl


Add sugar and pectin mix to the mashed Strawberries and mix



Add 1/2 teaspoon of butter or margarine

Bring Mixture to a Rolling Boil. Stirring Constantly. Add remaining Sugar and boil for 1 minute.


While waiting for the mixture to boil, Place lids in the boiling water. Turn heat down to a simmer. Keep lids hot until ready for use.

Remove from heat and skim any foam that forms on the mixture.


We are ready to can........

Ladle Jam into prepared jars. Wipe Jar rims and threads.

Place lid and screw band on tightly.


This recipe yeilded Nine 1/2 pint Jars.

Invert Jars for 5 minutes. This helps the jar seal.

Cool completly. If the jar did not seal, the product must be refrigerated and used immedietly


The finished Product.

Thanks Mom for teaching how to make your famous Strawberry Jam!

And for being my hand model!


* I know there are different feelings and theories as to if inversion canning is safe.

But this is the way my Mom has done it and for years and years and the way she taught me to do it. I made Strawberry Jam this year and and processed it for recommended amount of time in a water bath canner.

7 comments:

Deb said...

Carolyn, this is making it so hard for me, I think I've already messed up for the week on my diet, but I'm pressing on. I'm happy you had a safe trip. Deb

Katrina said...

this looks good... do you think it would work to substitute splenda for all or part of the sugar?

Mrs. K's Lemonade Stand said...

Nothing better than homemade jam! I am surprised you don’t have to use a water bath though to can them?
Every year I make blackberry and muscadine jelly from the wild berries that grow on the property. We love it!

FHL said...

I recently made Jam for the first time and in my rush to get it done perused the outside of the box, marveled at the lack of instructions and then started dumping it all together. Well, I am not a kitchen goddess or even a princess for that matter (lol) About 30 seconds into the mixing I noticed the slip of paper inside the box :o) Fortunately, it still tasted pretty decent considering and I have a few more quarts of berries in the freezer for the next round.....wish I had visited your blog prior to this little adventure though!!!

Carrie said...

I have always been curious about this. How do you know for sure that the jar is sealed correctly?

Anonymous said...

Carrie sent me to your site. Really could of used the berry info last week. There is good berry picking near Hillsboro.

Kitty said...

my mom used to do this, too. It seems like a lot of work, but you can store the jam for such a long time.
Are you considering pickling things, too?