Tuesday, April 26, 2011

What's for dinner- Au Gratin Potatoes with Magic Mix



What is Magic Mix??
It’s a great mix containing powdered milk, butter, and flour which makes perfect white sauces every time! 

Watch a video on how to make Magic Mix here at Everyday Food Storage. You can also find great recipes for using the Magic Mix here too.

Magic Mix
Ingredients:

2 1/3 C. Powdered Milk
1 C. All Purpose Flour (Yes, use All Purpose)
1 C. (2 sticks) Margarine or Butter, at room temperature

Something about using this intimidated me. I have had the mix in my fridge for a couple months and have not tried using it. Today..... I said no more!!  I am making Au Gratin Potatoes!!!



I re hydrated some Potato Slices from my Food Storage.
Didn't measure but probably about 3 cups.




In a saucepan, I warmed 1 1/4 cups water on low.
When the water is warm I mixed in the magic mix with a whisk.
I let that warm thru for a minute or two and then added 2 cups of cheese and my Potatoes.




I placed the mixture in a baking dish.
I added some salt and pepper to the top.
Then bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes
 
 
And here you have it..............Au Gratin Potatoes from your Food Storage!
 

And now for the close up..............



This was so easy!!! Why didn't I do this before!!!
 
 
You can use Magic Mix to make:
White Sauces
Cream Soups
Alfredo Sauce
Macaroni and Cheese
Au Gratin Potatoes
Pudding
Fudge Pops
and More!!

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Great idea! Now if my husband would only be back from working out of town long enough for me to try some of these recipes!

Jen said...

That's looks so good but I just can't do powdered milk. Blech. Bechamel is super easy anyway, no magic required!

Sandy said...

That looks great! I have to try it!