Wednesday, May 21, 2008

How my Garden grows.......


I was inspired by Robbyn at http://homesteadingthebackforty.blogspot.com/ and Ilex at http://homesteadinginacondo.blogspot.com/ and decided to start a Container Garden. I got interested in growing my own food last year and have been reading up on the subject. I was a little hesitate to do it but thought what the heck.......... all I can do is try.

Borrowing an idea from Robbyn, I planted in 5 gallon buckets. I planted 2 kinds of Tomatos, Red Peppers, Green Peppers, Onions and Lettuce.
After I got my Garden planted, I got an e-mail from my Mother in Law. She is going to try some raised bed Gardening. She has got a little bit more room than I do. So what I didn't plant ... she will.
We will be eating some great food this summer. I can't wait!!

8 comments:

Robbyn said...

Oh, COOL....Bucketheads Unite!!!! heeheehee
Awesome! Didja drill holes in the bottom? Remember, husbands get a real charge using power tools, ha!
Hey, looks like you got some great starts there...

Katrina said...

I planted some tomatoes and red/green and yellow bell peppers in big pots this year. My first attempt as well. Hope they turn out good! (for you and me!)

Shelley said...

This is a great idea - I am going to try container gardening too. Thanks for sharing.

Mrs. K's Lemonade Stand said...

Sounds like a plan to me! I've read a lot of success stories about container gardening.

Kitty said...

what a great idea?
how is working with containers better than working a plot, I wonder? This seems like a great urban alternative.

have fun with it. I grew up with a garden and have fond memories of fresh veggies.

Victoria said...

Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog. You have a great blog!

I love your gallon containers. I have been mostly container gardening successfully for the past few years due to gopher problems. I have vegies, herbs, and flowers in containers. I thought I had the gophers beat. I planted pansies in the ground around the tree and they all disappeared!

ilex said...

Go, Carolyn! Soon, you will be one of us... soon, you will be... a CONTAINER GARDENER! Bwaaahhhahhahhahahaa!

ilex said...

Oh, yeah- I can recommend two books specific to container gardening--

McGee and Stuckey's "The Bountiful Container"

Crandall and Crandall's "Movable Harvests"

Both are good- Bountiful Container is a bit cutsey, but has a lot of great ideas. Moveable Harvests has great potting mix recipes; the right potting mixes are very important in container gardening. If you don't have good air and water circulation in your pots, the plants will definately fail to thrive.