Saturday, March 19, 2011

Yogurt in your Crock- Pot

I had 3 failed attempts with the EasiYo Yogurt making. Tried 3 different variations of the recipe and all failed. Then I looked at the best if used by day on the packet and found it was out of date. So the failures can be blamed on out of date starter cultures.

In searching the Internet for yogurt making I came across how to's for making yogurt in a crock pot. Sounds interesting.......sounds easy. So I am gonna give it a shot!

Crock-Pot SCR300SS 3-Quart Round Manual Slow Cooker, Stainless Steel

Crock Pot Yogurt



•Turn your crock pot to low and pour in 1/2 gallon of milk. Can use whole milk or down to 1% .
(I did find variations where they used half real milk and half powdered milk with water. I will try that on the next attempt. It sounds like you can customize the recipe once you have got the basics down.)

•Heat on low for 2 hours and 30 minutes.


•Once 2 hours and 30 minutes have elapsed turn your crock pot off and unplug it. Let the milk cool in the crock with the lid on for 3 hours.


•After 3 hours remove 1-2 cups of the warmed milk and place in a bowl. To that add 1/2 cup of yogurt with live active cultures and mix very well.


•Pour the yogurt-milk mixture back into the milk and whisk thoroughly.


•Place the cover back on the crock and wrap the entire crock pot in a thick bath towel or two.


•Let it culture overnight, 8-12 hours.


•In the morning stir yogurt (if desired) and store in glass quart jars or a container of your choice.


•For optimum texture, refrigerate for at least 8 hours before using.

1 comment:

Contessa Kris said...

I know this is an old post so I didn't know if you'd respond but I wondered how much yogurt it makes (I'd be putting it In quart jars) and how long it lasts in the fridge? Can yogurt be frozen and then thawed later and still have the same texture of yogurt? Thanks for your help.