Thursday, March 24, 2011

Yogurt and Augason Farms



The yogurt turned out great! It was a little thinner than store bought yogurts but that didn't bother me and I found that after being in the refrigerator it did thicken up. From what I read on the internet you can thicken the yogurt by using powdered milk or gelatin.

I decided to use 8 oz jelly jars to store the yogurt. From the half gallon of milk I got 11 jelly jars of yogurt. So for less that $5.00 I got 11 jars on yogurt!

The process was really easy. The time commitment was the only "bad thing". Just be mindful of your time and plan ahead to do heating and cooling of the milk during the day and the culturing overnight.



~~~~~~~~~

I also found a new company to get Food Storage items from. It is Augason Farms.
 
 
 
 
 
 
The prices are cheaper than other Food Storage Companies. I was also pleased to find that
Sam's Club offers their products also.
 
Augason Farms offers interesting combo packs. This time I ordered the "Starter Pack".
It has a nice variety of food storage items.
 
The Starter Pack included
Whole Eggs
Instant Milk
Beef Flavored Vegetarian Meat Substitute
Instant Potatoes
Freeze Dried Strawberries
Freeze Dried Sweet Corn
 
I was excited about the variety in the Starter Pack.
I have been wanting to try the meat substitute and the freeze dried veggies and fruits.
And then the idea struck me that I can use the Strawberries in the yogurt I made!!
 
 
This is what the Strawberries look like in the can.

 
Re Hydrating the Strawberries in warm water
 
Cut up Re Hydrated Strawberries


Add the Strawberries to Yogurt and Stir


Yum!
 
 
**I also cut up the freeze dried Strawberries as is and mixed them into another container of yogurt.
I want to see if the step of re hydrating the Strawberries could be skipped.
I will let you know how the experiment turns out.

2 comments:

Godolphinhill said...

To make yoghurt in small quantities just mix UHT milk straight from the carton with a spoonfull of shop bought plain yoghurt. Leave it in a warmish place overnight or the fridge for a day or so. UHT milk is what some of the Italian yoghurt makers use.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful painting! It looks amazing in my master bathroom! 3 piece canvas painting